Summer is around the corner & I am almost certain everyone is on their SUMMER TIME FINE fitness mode. I came across this article on slimming down your stomach by eliminating certain foods. According to fitness expert David Kirsch here are ten tips to getting a flat, sexy stomach in a cinch. Get a flatter physique by banishing that belly bloat! Here’s how. (source: Heidi Klum on AOL)
1. Stay away from heavy carbs like bagels and pasta. When you decrease carbs in your diet, you train your body to access stored carbohydrates and burn them off, and eliminate excess stored fluids. Try an egg white scramble for breakfast instead, and pack protein-rich snacks like seeds, nuts or turkey slices.
2. Switch out high-fructose fruits like honeydew, apples or pears for fruits that are low in fructose like berries, grapes and citrus.
3. Think diet foods will help banish bloat? Think again. These products contain sugar alcohols that cause bloating. To satisfy your sweet tooth try mixing a little bit of maple syrup with your Greek yogurt in the morning or snack on berries.
4. Alcohol is the enemy! Alcohol causes dehydration and may slow your body’s ability to eliminate excess waste. Alcohol is also high in acid that can cause swelling in your GI tract. Reach for a glass of water instead. (GUESS THAT MEANS NO BLAMING IT ON THE A-A-ALCOHOL!)
5. Try to do some kind of physical activity every day. It increases your heart rate and breathing stimulates the natural contractions of your intestinal muscles, aiding digestion.
6. Many people think dairy is the enemy when it comes to bloating, but foods like yogurt that contain probiotics can actually help with belly bloat. Try Greek yogurt, which is higher in protein than its counterparts, so you’ll stay full longer.
7. Eat foods that are high in fiber, but keep in mind that not all fibers are created equal. Get your fiber from fruits and vegetables, whole-grain rice, pasta and bread rather than from packaged high-fiber products. (FLAX SEED IS GREAT)
8. Eliminate diet drinks, as many of them contain sorbitol, which isn’t digestible so it causes bloating. (DRINK WATER WHEN IN DOUBT)
9. Try not to eat on the go. You tend to take big bites of food and don’t chew properly so you swallow tremendous amounts of air. Take 15-20 minutes to eat each meal, even if you’re sitting at your desk, take a deep breath after each bite and chew with your mouth closed.
10. Skip the salt. Salt causes your body to retain fluid, and the biggest culprit can be salad dressings. Try seasoning your salad with lemon juice instead – you won’t sacrifice flavor but you’ll cut down on sodium and calories. (ALWAYS SEASON YOUR FOOD WITH LITTLE SALT, USE KOSHER and/or PINK SALT)